At Mountain Adventure Camps not all our guests are from the UK, in fact a significant number travel from many different regions of the world. Therefore, although we are a UK based company we have found that we cannot only follow the UK guidelines on Modern Language learning but must also have a broader outlook so to cater for a full range of abilities.
The objectives of our summer camp curriculum is to help our guests improve their speaking, listening and responding skills in an environment where they feel comfortable, and to underpin their understanding of the language so that a meaning is achieved and therefore retained at a higher rate.
Higher level students will experience more focus on writing and reading comprehension although lower level students are by no means exempt from reading and writing.
We follow the guidelines for KS2, 3 & 4 and apply the relevant targets where necessary.
The UK curriculum states that students must:
- Hear, speak, read and write in the target language regularly and frequently within the classroom and beyond
- Communicate in the target language individually, in pairs, in groups and with speakers of the target language, including native speakers where possible, for a variety of purposes
- Use an increasing range of more complex language
- Make links at word, sentence and text level
- Listen to, read or view a range of materials, including authentic materials in the target language, both to support learning and for personal interest and enjoyment
- Use the target language in connection with topics and issues that are engaging and may be related to other areas of the curriculumLearn about different countries and cultures
- Comparing pupils’ own experiences and perspectives with those of people in countries and communities where the target language is spoken
CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages)
The CEFR works on a levels system with 6 stages:
- A1 Breakthrough or beginner
- A2 Waystage or elementary
- B1 Threshold or intermediate
- B2 Vantage or upper intermediate
- C1 Effective Operational Proficiency or advanced
- C2 Mastery or proficiency
Please refer to the above summer camp curriculum guidelines when informing us of you or your child’s language ability in the booking process.